Basil Mackerel Fish Sauce
I’ll be sharing with you my recipe for one of my favorite sauces ever. I love sauces, especially ones that can be had with almost anything. This sauce is just that. Apart from being versatile, this sauce is highly flavorful and we have the Basil and Smoked Mackerel to thank for that. This sauce is so delicious and I have to share with you guys.
The flavor of Basil is just awesome and i wonder why i was sleeping on it all this while, but I’m glad i woke up,lol. The flavor it adds to any dish is just so amazing and rich, now I’m obsessed and i add it to everything!
This Sauce is one I always make, I always just have it at hand, but I had never tried it with basil in it. So I decided to share a recipe of my popular breakfast mackerel sauce and I thought to spice it up with some Fresh Thyme, but i was bored of always using Fresh Thyme, so I sent my driver to get some Basil from shoprite, he came back with 3 packs of Basil Leaves, so i started to use it in everything so it won’t go to waste and that was how I became obsessed with it. Now i sneak it into anything I’m making and I’m not complaining.
I like to make this in more quantity than i need, because I like store it in my freezer and warm it up whenever i want to eat some. I love to keep this on hand because it makes breakfast a breeze. I typically love to have this with some Boiled Yam or Fresh Bread and i think it is bomb. Nothing says Saturday or Sunday Breakfast like some Boiled yam and this sauce, so I’m sharing this with you all in time for the weekend.
This Mackerel Fish Sauce has so much flavor because of the added Basil and the Smoked Mackerel. It’s perfect with boiled or fried yam, boiled or fried plantains, potatoes, pasta or rice. It’s a really simple sauce that will fast become a staple in your home. Try it out and let me know what you think of this Basil flavor.
2 Whole Smoked Mackerel
1 Med Onions
5 Med Tatase
5 Small Habanero
2 Cloves Garlic
1/2 Cup Oil
1 Tsp Curry Powder
1/2 Tsp Thyme
1/2 Tsp White Pepper
2 Stock Cubes
Pinch Of Salt
- Blend the Tatase, rodo, tomatoes and garlic with a little water. Blend it to the consistency you’d prefer, i like to leave mine a little rough
- De-bone the mackerel fish and set the fish pieces aside.
- Put some oil in a pot, when hot, add in the blended pepper mix, cover the pot and allow the better to cook till it reduces.
- When the pepper has reduced a bit, add in the seasoning, stir in and continue to cook on medium heat for a couple of minute or till all the water in pepper dries out. Make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Add in the flaked mackerel fish, stir in and allow to cook a bit.
- Add in Basil right before your sauce is done, then allow to cook for about a minute.
- Serve with some boiled yam and enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Servings: 4 – 5 People