Just in time for lunch, I’m sharing with you the yummiest Egusi Ijebu recipe you will ever find. Yes, its full proof and amazing.
Egusi Ijebu is a light soup made from Melon Seeds and cooked without Vegetables. It originates in the South Western part of Nigeria, from the Ijebus’, hence the name ‘Egusi Ijebu’.
This soup gets confused with regular Egusi Soup a lot, however, it is completely different. Regular Egusi Soup is thicker, the cooking process is different and also mostly cooked with leaves. It should not be confused with Egusi Ijebu.
This soup is really delicious and simple to make. It goes down well with almost any swallow of your preference and even rice.
I used Ogiri Ijebu in this recipe and it is almost necessary in this soup to give that authentic Ijebu taste in the soup. Use any protein of choice and some smoked fish to add the ‘local’ vibe to it and trust me, your soup will HIT!
1 Cup Egusi (Melon Seeds)
5 Small Rodo
1 Med Onion
1 Tbsp Ogiri Ijebu
1/2 Cup Palm Oil
1/2 Cup Crayfish
1 Small Dried Fish
2 Small Shawa Fish
3 Stock Cubes
1/2 Tsp Salt
- Season meat of choice as desired and cook until soft.
- In a dry pan, toast melon seeds for 7 minutes or till you start hearing a pop sound. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Once melon seeds have cooled, blend smoothly with rodo, onions, crayfish and with a lot of water.
- Pour the batter into a pot and allow to cook. Stir constantly to avoid lumping like regular egusi soup.
- After its been cooking for some minutes, add in palm oil, salt, stock cubes and ogiri ijebu.
- The soup thickens as it begins to cook, add in some meat stock to make it lighter. Stir and add smoked fish, cover and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add in cooked meats, taste and adjust for seasoning, Cover and allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite swallow and enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 5 People