Green Chilli All Purpose Sauce
Today, I’m sharing with you my Green Chilli All Purpose Sauce recipe. The goal when I made this was to make something that goes with any and everything. I had a lot of leftover green bell peppers from my Ayamase Jollof episode and I just thought to use them for something else and then I came about this sauce.
This All Purpose Sauce is not your average Sauce, if you like warm, earthy flavors then you’re going to love it. I used two of my favorite spice seeds, Star Anise Seed and Whole Cloves and they gave this sauce the most deep, earthy flavor and the aroma is to die for, I used my favorite aromatics, Ginger, Garlic and spring onions and they totally infused the taste of this sauce. It pairs well with everything from Fish to Lamb, You can use it in your shawarma, as a dip, as a marinade for proteins, eat with Boiled or Fried Yam, Rice, Pasta and so on. I had a dilemma before I shared this recipe because I wasn’t sure if i wanted to share the recipe or bottle it up and sell .But here we are, lol.
This sauce has deep earthy flavors you’re going to love. It’s great with almost everything and I’m still trying pairings out, so far there’s nothing it doesn’t taste great with, so ‘All purpose’ is a fitting name for it. If you’d like to try this, this one is for you, enjoy!
TIP: This sauce can last up to or more than a week when refrigerated. Make sure to always use a clean spoon every time you take some from the jar.
6 Large Green Peppers
20 Small Green Habanero
5 Med Spring Onions
2 Med Red Onions
5 Cloves of Garlic
1 Thumbsize Ginger
1 Cup of Oil
1 Star Anise
3 Whole Cloves
1 Tsp Seasoning Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
- Remove seeds and clean bell peppers properly, then cut into smaller pieces, cut onions into smaller pieces as well.
- In a baking tray lined with parchment paper, put the bell pepper and onion pieces in, then put in the oven at 180°C for 35 minutes.
- In a pan, pour in oil, then smash garlic and ginger, also slice spring onion, then put in the oil and fry for about 5 minutes to allow the aroma infuse the oil, then set aside.
- When pepper has roasted for 35 minutes, bring out of the oven and allow to cool.
- When everything has cooled down, transfer roasted peppers, onion, fresh habaneros and the fried aromatics (garlic, spring onions and ginger) with the oil into a blender and blend roughly.
- In a pan, pour in the blended mixture, then add in seasoning. (It isn’t necessary to add oil in this step as the mixture was blended with oil. However, if you want to loosen it up a bit, you can add a bit of oil).
- Allow to cook till oil starts to float over the sauce, then you know it ready. (Stir very often while cooking the sauce to avoid burning).
- Allow to cool, then decant into a jar or bowl to store it or you can serve it straight with anything you like.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Total Time: 1 Hour 5 Minutes
Serving: Depends on how often its used