Nigerian Meat Pie
Nigerian Meat Pie is definitely one of the most popular Nigerian snacks, its delicious (if prepared well), rich and flavourful with a flaky pie crust. I mean it is that “take to go” snack, just have something to drink with it and that could literally hold your tummy.
I remember when i was younger, i used to love the Mr Biggs Meat Pie! it was my go to snack on the way to school, I always had it with Fanta and it was a fantastic combo, i mean, I lived for this! But times have changed and i happen to know how to make my Meat Pie exactly how i like it, so…. Mr Biggs is History! Lol.
I know it is easier to just walk into any fast food restaurant and get one, but its a better feeling to be sure you know what goes into your meat pie. Personally, i’m a sucker for miniature pastries, so i like to make my meat pies really small, its a really good excuse to eat as many as i like. I can’t walk into any random eatery and ask for something they don’t make, now can i?
Homemade anything is the major key to customizing what your taste buds want. That’s why i’m sharing this amazing recipe with you all, so you can try it out and make what fits your interest. Meat pies also freeze well, so you can make a batch and entertain friends and family with them and save some for later.
I also have a step by step video below, if you’d prefer. Do try this out and tell me all about it. Enjoy!
500g All Purpose Flour
2 Eggs (For Egg Wash)
1/4 Cup Water
300g Minced Beef
1 Med Onion (chopped)
2 Large Carrots
4 Med Potatoes
1/2 Tsp Salt
2 Stock Cubes
1 Tsp Curry Powder
1/2 Tsp Thyme
1/2 Tsp White Pepper
2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- Heat up some oil in a pan, add in chopped onions and minced garlic and fry for about a minute.
- Add in the minced meat and fry on medium heat for 5 minutes or till its not longer raw or pink.
- Add in some dried thyme, curry powder, white pepper and stock cubes, stir all together (break up meat lumps while stirring, to ensure the minced meat cooks through).
- Add in potatoes and carrots (already cooked) into the minced meat, stir and let it fry for 2 minutes.
- Add in some water, cover and allow to cook to ensure the meat cooks through.
- Sprinkle the flour to the mince meat sauce to thicken, stir and let cook for 1 minute then turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Put flour in a bowl,add in some salt and baking powder, then stir altogether using a whisk.
- Add in margarine to the dry ingredients, then mix together using your hands or food processor (i used my hands). Mix till the margarine is fully incorporated with the dry ingredients and it starts to look like bread crumbs.
- Add in some cold water (This gives you a flaky pie crust and i love that). Keep mixing the dough until it all comes together and it starts to form a ball.
- Roll out your dough on your floured work surface to about a quarter inch thick, use a cookie cutter or pot lid to cut out circles of your desired size in the dough.
- Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees
- Take each pie cut and add a spoonful of filling to the centre, use a pastry brush to apply the egg wash on the inside edge of the pie cut, lift one side over the other and crimp the edges to seal in the filling.
- Place on a baking tray (greased with margarine or lined with parchment paper)and repeat for the rest.
- Apply the egg wash over the meat pies and bake in preheated oven for 18 mins or till golden brown.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 50 Minutes