Banga Rice is one of those dishes I never heard about until i went into adulthood, thanks to my new adventurous side, I’m now open to trying dishes from all over the country. This Banga recipe is another interesting way of enjoying our favorite Rice …
Month: September 2018
Chicken Suya is definitely one of the most popular and widely received Nigerian Chicken recipe. For a long time, i’d go to great lengths to buy myself some Chicken Suya simply because i loved it that much. The moment i realized it wasn’t rocket science, the game changed for me. I got some Suya, then kept the remaining spice and tried to replicate it and i came really close. And that was how i stopped going out of my way to buy Chicken Suya, I just make it at home whenever i crave it. If you want to save yourself the stress and some money, keep reading! lol.
Chicken Suya in Nigeria is simply grilled Chicken coated with Suya spice. Chicken Suya can be made with whatever part of chicken you prefer, but i love using the Chicken thigh.
To make your own spice all you need is some Ginger powder, Garlic Powder, Groundnut, Stock cubes, salt and any kind of pepper you prefer (black, white, Chilli), there’s really no particular recipe in making Suya spice as ingredients may be according to personal preferences, the ingredients listed are just what i prefer and what are common. Just crush your groundnut or pulse in a food processor and mix all ingredients together, then go ahead to marinate your chicken! yes, its that simple.
I used a grill to make my own Chicken Suya but if you don’t have a grill, you can use your oven. Get your baking tray, line with some foil paper, spray with cooking oil, preheat oven to 350 degrees, line marinated chicken in the tray, place in the oven and bake for 40- 50 minutes. You still end up with a flavorful and savory Chicken Suya.
This recipe is full proof and I’m so pleased to share it with you because I know you’re going to love it, so enjoy!
5 Tbsp Ginger Powder
5 Tbsp Crushed Peanuts
2 Tbsp Chilli Powder
1 Tsp African Negro Pepper (Optional)
2 Stock Cubes
1/2 Tsp Salt
600g Chicken Thighs
8 Tbsp Suya Spice
3 Tbsp Oil
- After mixing the Suya spice, marinate the chicken with the spice lavishly, make sure every corner is coated with the spice. Wrap with cling film and put in the fridge for 1 or more hours (depends on how much time you have) or overnight.
- Turn on grill, spray the cooling rack with some oil and place on the grill to ensure that the chicken doesn’t stick to the rack.
- Take the marinated chicken out of the fridge.
- In a small bowl, mix some Suya spice and oil, using a brush, spread the oil and spice mix all over the chicken then place on the grill.
- Grill the chicken on both sides for 15-20 minutes each (depends on how much heat you have), keep checking to avoid burning. This process can also be done in the oven, but i prefer the grill for this.
- When the chicken starts to turn brown and crispy, then you know its ready.
Prep Time: 1 Hour 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 45 Minutes