Plantain Fufu is basically swallow made from unripe Plantains. This is a very healthy Fufu meal. Unripe plantains have low sugar, so this Fufu is very good for “fit-fam”, diabetic patients and generally to keep blood sugar levels low.
It is very easy to prepare and it takes little to no time. Like any other swallow, you can serve this with any soup of your choice.
2 Unripe Plantains
3/4 Cup Water to blend
- Peel the plantains, then cut into smaller pieces.
- Transfer the pieces of Plantain into a blender, add in some water and blend into a smooth paste.
- Pour the blended plantain into a pot and allow to cook for about 10 minutes.
- When it starts to solidify, continuously mix, turn and pull towards you till it starts to develop an elastic and fluffy feel, then you know its ready.
- Serve with any soup of your choice. Enjoy!
Amala is hands down one of the most popular swallows in Nigeria, especially among the Yoruba people. It is popularly served with Ewedu and Gbegiri, but can be enjoyed with other soups as well.
Amala is one those meals that are quite easy to make but can go wrong quickly if one thing is done wrong, so i’m here to help you out.
1 1/2 Cups Yam Flour
2 Cups Water
- Boil some water in a kettle then transfer into a pot. Ensure that the pot is on fire so the water doesn’t stop boiling.
- In the boiling water, add in Yam flour while stiring (use a wooden spoon or Omorogun, whichever is easier for you). Keep stiring till the Yam flour mixes properly with the water and starts to solidify.
- Start to turn the Amala and pull towards you continuously to avoid lumps. Keep doing this till the Amala is smooth.
- Add in some water to the Amala and allow to cook for some minutes.
- Take out the water if you are satisfied with the texture of your Amala or you could leave it if you want it to be softer.
- Continue in a Stir- Gather- Pull motion, till your Amala is fluffy and lump free.
I will link the video for this recipe below for a show and tell. Just follow my steps and you’ll be making your swallow perfectly in no time.
I hope this was helpful to somebody.