This recipe is a really quick and basic one, but it is so yummy with rich flavors. Spaghetti and Meatballs is an Italian- American dish which typically consists of Spaghetti, Minced Beef and Tomato sauce. I decided to put the Nigerian spin to it and made the Spaghetti “Jollof Spaghetti”, just because i wouldn’t have it any other way!. So its safe to say that i took the Italian out of it and made it a bit more Nigerian.
I used Breadcrumbs and eggs in making the Meatballs because they serve as a binder for the Meatballs as it helps to keep the balls together and not fall apart when frying or When you put them in a sauce, so they are pretty important to this recipe. Be careful not to add too much of the Eggs as it will make the Meatballs too soggy, also too much Breadcrumbs will make the Meatballs too loose. Using too little of both also won’t allow the Meatballs hold, so it is important to use just the right amount of Breadcrumbs and Eggs when making this recipe.
The Meatballs were baked until they were just cooked, the result was a very juicy meatball that was soft and didn’t dry out. I hope you try it out. Enjoy!
350g Minced Beef
1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs
1/2 Med Onions (chopped)
1 Tsp Oregano
1 Tsp Salt
11/2 Cups Tomato Mix
2 Stock Cubes
2 Tbsp Oil
2 Cloves Garlic
2 Tsp Mixed Herbs
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Curry
- To make the Meatballs, pour 350g Minced Meat in a bowl, then add Bread Crumbs, some Onions, some Oregano, Salt then add Egg.
- Spray your baking tray with some cooking spray.
- Using your hands or whatever you are comfortable with, mash the ingredients and the Minced Beef to incorporate all ingredients in the Beef.
- Take a table spoon full of the Minced Beef mix and roll into a ball using the palm of your hands, then arrange them one after the other on the baking tray.
- Bake the Meatballs for 18 minutes after preheating the oven to 180 degrees.
- To cook Spaghetti, Pour boiling water into a pot then add Spaghetti.
- When Spaghetti is cooked, drain all the water from it and set aside.
- Pour some cooking oil into a pot, when hot, add some Onions and stir till its translucent.
- Add Garlic.
- Add Tomato mix and allow to fry for 5 minutes (keep stiring so it does not burn).
- Add all other ingredients, then a little water.
- Taste and adjust ingredients.
- Put the Meatballs in the Tomato sauce.
- Add in the Spaghetti, stir the Spaghetti, till it is fully coated with the Tomato sauce and Meatballs.
- Cover the pot for 2-3 minutes to allow the Spaghetti soak up all the juices from the sauce and the Meatballs.
- Serve and enjoy.