Beans popularly known as Ewa among the yorubas is a source of Protein and Fibre. Beans is enjoyed in different ways, Ewa Aganyin (Mashed Beans and Sauce), as a Porridge or as a side dish to accompany Rice, Yam etc and can be made in different ways. When made into a Porridge/Pottage, It can be had with Garri, Plantain, Yam and so on.
My favorite type of beans is Ewa Oloyin (Brown Honey Beans), it doesnt take as long as other varieties of beans to cook and has a sweet note when had on its own. I opted to make my beans porridge with plantain and some uziza leaves, which just makes this dish full of aroma and flavor.
2 Cups Brown Beans
1/2 Cup Palm Oil
2 Medium Onions
4 Medium Tomatoes
3 Large Tatase
2 Small Fresh Pepper
1 Clove Garlic
2 Ripe Plantains
1/2 Cup Uziza Leaves
3 Tbsp Ground Crayfish
2 Stock Cubes
1 Tsp Salt
1. Pour Beans in a pot
2. Add 4 Cups of water and 1 medium onions (chopped)
3. Cook on medium heat until soft.
4. While Beans is cooking, blend Tomatoes, Tatase and fresh pepper to make pepper mix.
5. Add pepper mix to the Beans when it is soft and reduce heat to low
6. Stir and add the remaining chopped onions
7. Add Seasoning Cubes, Crayfish, Salt and Palm Oil to the Beans.
8. Cut plantain in round slices and add to the beans porridge.
9. Cover the pot and cook for 10 Minutes.
10. Add Uziza leaves and stir. Cook with the lid open for another 5 minutes.
11. Allow Pottage stand for 10 minutes before serving.