Easter is around the corner and I like a lot of people will people searching for inspiration for meals and what to eat around the holidays.
This Frejon (Coconut Bean Pudding) is perfect for Good Friday because dairy foods and flesh meat are strictly forbidden.
Frejon is originally a Brazilian dish that was made popular in Nigeria by the returnees from Brazil who settled in Lagos Island. It is made by combining Coconut and black beans (kidney beans and brown beans are alternatives) together.
2 Cups Beans
400ml Coconut Milk
2 Tbsps Sugar
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
1/4 Tsp Salt
Garnish – Stewed Fish pieces and a sprinkle of Garri.
- Place the beans in the pot, cover with water and cook till very soft then leave to cool.
- After the beans has cooled down, prepare to blend it.
- Add coconut milk into the blender and then the beans, blend till you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour the coconut bean mixture through a fine mesh strainer set over a pot for a smooth consistency.
- Cook the mixture on low to medium heat.
- Add some more coconut milk, if you want.
- Add some sugar to your taste, add the cloves and a little bit of salt
- Continuously stir to avoid burning or lumps.
- And the Frejon is done.