This oil free version of the popular Okro soup is one of my favorite Nigerian Soups to eat especially now that i’m watching what i eat. The taste is amazing and you can’t tell it doesn’t have any oil! It takes less than 20 minutes to cook once you have all your ingredients prepped.
For Okro Soup
350g Okro/Okra (Chopped)
500g Assorted Meats (Goat Meat, Tripe)
1/2 Cup Pepper Mix (Tomatoes, Tatase, Fresh Pepper)
1 Cup Dried Fish & Dried Crayfish
1 1/2 Cups Water
3 Tbsp Ground Crayfish
1/2 Cup Scent Leaves or Uziza Leaves
2 Stock Cubes
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Ginger (Chopped)
1 Med Onion (Chopped)
2 Stock Cubes
1 Tsp Curry Powder
1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
2 Tsp Salt
1. Wash and thoroughly clean the goat meat and tripe to get rid of blood and dirt. Place Goat Meat in a pot and season with salt, stock cubes, chopped onions, chopped ginger, curry powder and dried thyme. Cover pot and allow to cook for 40 minutes or until meat is tender.
2. Place Tripe in a pressure cooker (to reduce cooking time) and add some chopped onions and ginger, cover and cook on medium heat for 45 minutes.
3. When Goat Meat is cooked, separate the meat from the broth and store broth in freezer bag when it cools to use in future for a dish that requires it. Separate Tripe from broth and discard this broth.
4. In a clean pot, add the Pepper Mix, Water, Dried Fish and Dried Crayfish. Add in the Ground Crayfish, Salt and Stock Cubes. Cover the pot and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add the the Meats (Goat Meat and Tripe) and let cook for 5 minutes.
6. Reduce heat and add in the chopped Okro, stir gently until properly incorporated and cook on low heat for 7 minutes.
7. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
8. Add in Uziza leaves or scent leaves, stir and cook for 1 minute then turn off the heat. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
9. Enjoy alone or with your choice of Fufu, Eba, Amala etc